The 2013 Identity Fraud Report released in February by Javelin Strategy & Research found 12.6 million victims of identity fraud in the United States over the past year. That equates to 1 victim every 3 seconds. Protect your identity using these simple steps.
- All your wireless devices, including your cell phone should require a password. Passwords should include capital letters and symbols and be updated regularly. Be sure to lock your desktop every time you step away from your computer.
- Don’t opt in or give companies permission to share your information.
- Be cautious of what you share on social media and do not post information that someone can use to authenticate your identity.
- Sensitive documents should be shredded.
- Store all your credit card information in a safety deposit box so you can cancel them in case your information is stolen.
- Never give out personal information over the phone, through the mail or online unless you are absolutely certain of the source.
- Only work with reputable online companies that have secure lines when making purchases.
- Monitor bank and credit card statements and get a free credit report annually.
If you have any questions on this or any other Real Estate matter, please fill out this form and I will get right back to you! Also feel free to leave any comments on the article below.